Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Images

Burning bush - I have been thinking about the song Standing Still by Jewel, and listened to it the other day on YouTube. It has a line about "there's a dead end to my left, there's a burning bush to my right." I was thinking about that line mostly because at the moment everything I try to do seems to come up a "dead end", and it seems that every time I turn around from that, God's got a burning bush on the other side. Tonight Leonard Sweet talked a little bit about part of his new book coming out called "Every Bush is Burning".

Black hole - Today, earlier, I think it was, it might have been yesterday, I was thinking about black holes. You know, the ones in outer space that suck everything close to it inside. And I started thinking, not in some weird depressing metaphoric way, but I started wondering where black holes go, and how we see them, and what happens to all the stuff they hoover up from space. I got some picture in my mind of a black hole warping everything around it and everything just disappearing inside. Well, tonight I was at SG and this one guy that I've met while on work orders because he does stuff in the science building, was talking about black holes. He was talking to a lot of people, and was going around from table to table. I'm not sure what he was talking about all the time, but the subject of black holes came up in two of the conversations that I heard a snippet of.... actually all I heard was "...black holes..." I finally asked him about it as I was leaving with Megan to go to Chapel for the evening session. He said he had a dream last night about a black hole, just randomly. So I guess he was studying them now with a new fervor or something. I'm not sure. But he said he dreamed about one. And I was thinking about one earlier today, or not that long ago.

Coincidence? Well, since there's no such thing as coincidences, which Dr. Bob talked about in Senior Year Experience a bit today... What's the meaning behind it?

The burning bush I can get. I think that God has been doing everything short of throwing one at me lately. I can be dense sometimes... sometime moreso spiritually than anything. But the black hole? What is a black holes significance? That things are there that are still there, but are so densely packed that where they are looks black to us from Earth because it is so much packed so tightly, and yet everything still exists? It can't really go anywhere, so it's all there, in the black hole... according to what the guy I spoke with tonight said... and I vaguely remember something to that extend from watching Bill Nye the Science Guy as a kid. One image that popped into my head when thinking about black holes earlier was Bill Nye and the funny graphics they used to simulate him going into a black hole, and the warp speed that mass reaches when introduced into one. The guy I spoke with said that some research suggests that black holes lead to other dimensions.... which is very interesting.

So, I'm not sure what to think about any of this at the moment. I really just needed to get this out on "paper" in a written format to try to get it in some kind of order.

No comments: