Sunday, January 11, 2009

trying to justify my thoughts on my computer....

Not much to report on here. I'm working on a couple of things for class tomorrow, but other than that, I'm not too busy.

It has been snowing here quite a bit. I should go get some pictures at some point. The snow will be around a while this week though. I might take Domo out later this week for some snow pics though. That would be fun. The snow tonight as I went to the Acorn to get dinner reminded me of walks with the girls through the years. The snow was just drifting down, a lot, but very light. I couldn't even hear it on the trees (maybe either because I didn't slow down much since I was cold and wanted to get indoors and was walking by myself, or because I have been to too many concerts in the past year or so and my hearing is headed downhill, I'm not sure which). Good memories, though.

I seem to have a lot on my mind right now, and am sort of unable to get it all out. One thing I've been thinking about it getting a new computer. I have some loan money left over that I can get from the school. That would be really good to get a new computer, because the laptop I have is impossible to do anything with. As I have said before, the HD is too small and I can't find a ATA HD anymore, just SATA which is a completely different connection. The screen now has 9 lines running vertically through it at various points, which makes looking at just about anything on the computer bothersom. It run fairly decently for what it is, but if I try to look at a Java or Flash intensive site it bogs down like a lead weight in quicksand. Then programs close, or it freezes, or both at the same time. The fact that one of the fans has gone out on it doesn't help any. I also can't do my homework on it because I don't have Office on here. I can only use Google Docs, which does not exactly transfer to Office very well as it has some formatting issues. I hate using Office to begin with, or anything like it, but I have to, and if I'm going to I want things to look right... because professors don't like looking at something that isn't formatted correctly either. I want to get a computer that I can use for more than just browsing websites. I like to take pictures, and would like to edit them, but I can't do that on my computer. Any programs I would like to use are too large for my puny 20GB HD. Currently I run things from my external USB HD. That also slows down the computer, and not everything will run from that.... So.... I have some funds left from my loan, since it was estimated over instead of under, and I can get that from the school, and I am going to use it to get a new computer. I really need something that functions well. One might say that I could use my Mac that I have. But it is also an older model, and currently serves as a very large and stationary iPod. It is basically my music storage computer. I think I have put most of my CD's on there.... except for some that I just got from a prize pack I won from YS. Anyway, that's what I want to do. Maybe I'm crazy. There are definitely other places I could use that money, but seeing that my computer is just about to kick the bucket it seems, and has lost just about any bit of functionality it could have had, I really think that getting a new one will help. And I will be less bothered by trying to open documents from professors, and writing my own papers and such. That part really frustrated me right now. I can't open any kind of document that professors send without going to the computer lab, which although I work there, it is a pain to have to go down just to open one or two documents.

So.... there you go... a slight update, and a slight bit of what's been on my mind as of late. Well, one of the many things that's been on my mind lately... And maybe I am being rediculous... I don't know. I'm just tired of being held back by old technology.

No comments: