Sunday, September 23, 2012

Treasure Map

 How often do we hear Jeremiah 29:11 quoted when speaking of plans that God has for people or churches, or even high school students/college students the day after graduation and you haven't a clue where life is going?

Yesterday morning we (women's group at church) talked about this passage a little bit, and it impressed a image in my mind about it. To get the most out of this verse, you have to read it in a little more context.

"11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." ~Jeremiah 29:11-13.

While praying after we talked, I got this picture in my mind of a treasure map, like you might see in relation to pirates. You know the ones: The brown parchment paper with weathered and torn edges, and a thick red "X" where the treasure is buried.

This map represented that we have the promise from God that He knows the plans he has for us. The red "X" is the plan. It is there waiting for us, but it isn't something that we just wait to have delivered to us. It's something we go after by seeking His face and praying.

No comments: