Monday, January 7, 2013

The End of the World as We Know It

As I was driving back to my apartment tonight, I looked up and saw a small bright light coming straight down over the shoulder of the road. It looked like a shooting star. But it seemed a lot closer, like maybe 50 feet in front of me. It was probably a reflection from the lights of the car passing me on the left. I don't know. I thought it seemed a bit strange. Then I thought about if it were the end times (like for real, not like this is the age of the end times kind of thing) then how sudden would that be? And how strange it would look to people. What if this was it?

Then I thought about what we talk about in church all the time but I rarely see happening (of whose fault but my own?) - ask yourself -
How many of the people do I know would be going to heaven in the end times?
How many of them can actually say that Jesus Christ is their Lord and Savior?
How many of them think of His name as something other than a swear word when they are frustrated
How many just think He is an awkward and uncomfortable topic of conversation?
How many of them simply don't believe that He exists?

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son."
John 3:16-18 NIV

You have been given a choice. We are not robots. You can choose to follow and do your own thing. Live your life how you want to live it. Out have that freedom. Or you can go after the good things. It means denying self. It doesn't mean this life here on earth will be perfect. But it means a security in your eternal existence. It means that you will not be bound for eternal torture, that you are trying so feebly to run from right now. Just look at what we do. We try to avoid bad situations an horrible things and circumstances. It's impossible to do so here on earth. But it's not impossible with Christ in the scheme of eternity. Think about that for a moment. Everything that hurts you. You could be living with that pain for eternity. Or you could turn it over to your Savior who took all that pain and agony on Himself, hung it on the cross, and separated it as far as the east from the west when He rose up out of that grave!

You can be mad at me for posting such things. Or you can study and see what the Bible is really all about. If you don't know something, study it. Be willing to learn. You cannot be open minded if you shut out the things you are unsure or have questions about. Ask questions. I may not be able to answer all of them, but I can try. If I don't know something I will do some research and try to find an answer for you.

You'll never get to know someone without having a conversation with them. I can at least help with the introductions. The rest is up to you, whether you keep that conversation going. I can only plant seeds, I can't make them grow.

No comments: