Sunday, September 21, 2008

Retro Dreams

I seem to be getting on this very long retro kick as of late. Not like it isn't something I haven't always been interested in. I love antique stores and going to yardsales and finding random old things that are so outdated that the people who have them don't know what they were for... and I do... which is the fun part... coz I'm a lot younger than most of the items that I have interest in.

Recently I have acquired some old Nintendo stuff, for pretty cheap. Today I went to a yardsale while stalling taking one of the girls from youth group home, because she doesn't like to go home after church. Anyway... at one yardsale I saw a Casio keyboard... No, not the large, full keyboard that musicians use... the little tiny one with miniature keys and 100 different tunes already ingrained into its tiny little memory. It had a sticker for $2 on it, and the yardsale was having a half off day. So it was only $1, which was good coz that's all the cash I had on me. I got it. I used to have one, or my sister used to have one, and it got lost somewhere along the way. Or it just broke. Who knows.

Is it odd that I have such an interest in retro things? Or do you think that that's just because it's "the thing" right now?

Now for a programme change... (obviously said with a British accent, because of the spelling of "programme")...

I am also extremely interested right now in photography. I think I have too many hobbies/interests... There are a million things I would like to do, but I haven't the time or the money to do them all. But today at church Pastor Jerrell spoke about the dreams and stuff that God has given you, and how to get to where you want to be by starting where you are. I guess that's what I'm doing. Photography and computers are more hobbies right now. I'm almost thinking that youth ministry is going to become a hobby later on if I end up finding a job in computers or photography, if I ever get that good at either. I really don't know what I'm going to do with this degree when I get out of here. Everything technical that I know is basically stuff I've learned along the way. Stuff I haven'd had classes in. Bits and pieces of information and know how that have gotten me through 4 years at the same campus job (Praise the Lord for that!). I'm now becoming the person who is specialized in updating computers and making sure they have the information on them that they need before they go out to the people who are getting them. We are all being given a specialty in the area where we are already most specialized. I am truly a "Jack of All Trades" here at work. I've done just about everything in my 4 years here, and only now am I getting assigned a specialty. It is not my most preferred one, but what can you do when you only work one or two hour shifts at a time. If I were here longer I might be able to do other things on a moer specialized level. But back to the subject at hand... I am going through some tough classes right now, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all that knowledge once I graduate! I don't want to be a youth pastor. I want to work with youth. If I had my choice, it would probably be with a parachurch organization or something of that sort. I just do not see myself giving messages, and planning church events, and being the go to person for the youth ministry at a church. That's just not my thing. It's not something I'm interested in doing. I don't even know if I would want to work full time for a parachurch organization.

A lot of stuff is up in the air right now, it seems. I should just focus on my homework right now, and the very large papers and stuff I have coming up this semester. And yet I still question why I am putting myself through all of this. I would almost rather just work on computers or go take pictures around the world...

No comments: