Monday, July 28, 2008

Learning to Trust

It seems these days that I am learning a lot.

A couple weeks ago during the Press I learned how to, sort of, navigate a raft down a river... backwards for most of the time, and slightly off course.

I also learned how to tie the proper knots to keep a climber in their harness... particularly myself and the person belaying or being belayed. (belaying is the term for the person on the ground controlling the tension on the climber's rope so if/when they fall they don't fall too far, and don't go down too fast upon descent). Climb On!

I learned this last Wednesday how to sorta control my body in water... as I tried to wade around in the shallow end of a pool. My fears are becoming less as I get more acquainted with deeper water.

This last weekend I slowly warmed up to the water, and was trying to get my body used to the different feel of the water coming up and splashing on me, and over my head sometimes, and up against my body. Part of it was muscle memory. Part of it was just staying calm. Part of it was just trusting what I knew: that my friends would not let me drown; that I really could learn to swim and get used to the water; that I had it in me to learn, and do the right things in the water to keep from panicking, to keep my head up, to breathe at the right times, to move in the right ways to keep afloat.


A lot of what I have learned has to do with trust.
Trusting that the raft would not flip. Or that I would not drown if I fell out.
Trusting that the knots would hold. Trusting that the person belaying me could hold me.
Trusting the words of those instructing me what to do once I got in the water.
Trusting the people around me to not let me get in a situation where I would be in danger.

Trusting God with things that I cannot control.
Trusting Him... because He is good. Because He is far more trustworthy than anything else I have learned to put my trust in these recent weeks.

Psalm 36:5
"Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies."

No comments: