Sunday, June 14, 2009

No point to this post except to examine the human condition

On the way in to church this morning, at my turn on to Lincoln I heard some yelling to my left at the cross street. I was in the turn lane, waiting for the light to go left. The guy at the intersection to my left was opening his door (mind you this is the driver, and only person in the vehicle) and yelling at the guy in front of him. Mr. Big Yellow Panel Van wanted to turn left, and the guy in front of him was going straight, which is completely OK in that lane (silly, thanks to the city traffic dept. who are either unaware or unable to put another lane in, but still allowed). I didn't see the guy in the car, but he just drove straight when the light changed. Mr. Big Yellow Panel Van, who kind of looked like Shaq or a football player as big as he was, decided to continue with his right hand turn, and open the door and yell again as he turned onto the highway, and then as he closed the door, to flip his middle finger up at the driver, who was by then long gone down the street he was on and therefore could not see it.

I just wonder if the guy felt at all silly with his antics out in the middle of the intersection. Yeah, he's so tough yelling at and flipping off the guy in front of him who apparently wronged him by obeying traffic laws, but annoyed Mr. BYPV who wanted to turn right and couldn't. Mr. BYPV really looked like an idiot opening his drivers side door to yell (I'm guessing either the window was stuck/didn't work/or the guy was lazy and didn't want his spaceous AC to dissipate) and then flipping someone off who couldn't even see him do it. Because hurling insults out your door and giving someone the bird is an excellent way to show just how tough you are...

I'm not saying that I'm not prone to road rage. I get miffed at people who blatantly cannot follow rules, and sometimes question how some people obtain a license in the first place. Even on the way home half the people weren't following the speed limit (going slower amazingly enough), or didn't use turn signals... the turn signals really get me...

No comments: