Sunday, January 11, 2015

Do Good and Don't Give Up

Whatever you're doing.  However you are serving others. Don't give up. Don't quit. Even if you are not given credit. Even if no one ever sees what you do. If no one ever hears of your deeds. Don't quit. Don't let pride steal away the blessing that is coming. Don't do it for the blessing. That's just the icing on the cake. But do good out of response to God. Because He loves us. Don't let the worldly desires of acknowledgment and accolades weary you if they don't come. Do good because you are a child of God. Do good because deep down in that new person that you are, you really want to. The flesh doesn't want to do good. It gets tired and lazy and selfish. But don't you know we all struggle with that tired, lazy, selfish flesh that just wants to stay comfortable? Doing good isn't always comfortable. Sometimes it's dirty, or too cold or hot, or stinky, or it keeps you up late. Sometimes doing good runs you face first into your fears that you have to trust to God while you strive to keep at it. But whatever you do, don't give up or get weary in doing good. There's a blessing coming. I don't know when, or where, or how (or if?) that might manifest this side of heaven... But a blessing is coming. Even if it's only our reward in heaven, isn't that enough? Isn't Christ enough of a reward to keep us motivated toward doing good? I'm convicted in my own spirit of these things as I write this. He should be enough for me. God, I thank you for the opportunities You have given me to do what is good. Help me to stay strong in the doing, and focus on You. I praise You for your abundant grace, that You do bless your people this side of heaven. But let whatever blessings you have for me on this earth not be my focus or my goal. Lord, help me live to please Your Spirit and do Your will. In Jesus' name, Amen.
A photo posted by Nora Whelan (@technoindigo) on

No comments: