Sunday, January 11, 2015

Pay It Forward

I know that some people who post those "pay it forward" kind of things are just doing it to encourage others to do the same and give to those in need (if you've done this in not trying to step on your toes, I really want to encourage you to something greater). I've seen churches and prominent Christians post things about what they did to help someone. Sure, it gets a lot of likes and retweets and shares, and may even make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. But that's just temporal stuff. What lasts is when the only person you share that good deed with, other than the one who received the blessing, is God. What if we did that? What if, instead of looking for some likes and shares and a viral Internet post to showcase our good deeds, we took those things before God. We would have the satisfaction of knowing that our all-knowing Father had seen what we'd done. Then, instead of having an Internet post that will spike in interest for a few minutes and be forgotten the next, we would also know that we would be rewarded in a more long term way. Again, maybe this is one of those things where we may not get rewarded this side of Heaven. But this is another way we can show our love to God - by being obedient to what He's asked of us. I'm learning a lot about that in my own personal study. Maybe I'll post more about obedience later. Like I said, I'm still learning. This was the verse of the day on the Youversion Bible App. It's a verse that has come to mind when I see the blogs and the Pinterest posts about paying it forward or posting your kind acts, etc. I don't want to make an act of kindness about me. I mean, shouldn't our kindnesses point to Christ anyway? Father, help me to give generously to those in need, without feeling the need to share (or overshare) on social media or elsewhere. Let me guard my speech, that it wouldn't be about me boasting about what I've done, but that I would boast only of You. Give me eyes to see that the reward from you should satisfy. In Jesus' name, Amen
A photo posted by Nora Whelan (@technoindigo) on

No comments: