Friday, August 29, 2008

Sometimes I wonder what people think of me. This is an ongoing struggle. I should be affirmed in the truth of who I am in Christ. And yet, I still get discouraged when I come into a very crowded class, and know some of the people, and yet there's still an empty seat next to me, while everyone else has someone to sit by.

Today we had the first Chapel of the semester. It was very different without my friends I usually sit with being there. So many adjustments this semester. There was a group of some upperclassmen and some freshmen who sat by me because of the place being so crowded today. It was good. Slightly awkward just coz of not knowing anyone, but alright. Dr. Cramer spoke today, as is tradition. I enjoy when he speaks. He didn't sing this year, though. He did mention the one song that he and his wife sing, that quotes the verse that says "He who began a good work in you is faithful to complete it". He started his message with a couple of verses from Isaiah...

"Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.

See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland."

~Isaiah 43: 18-19

Dr. Cramer also spoke of relationships and community. The theme of the Chapel schedule is a coffee shop, because it is about more than coffee... It is about relationship, community, the experience, the conversation. I felt a bit sad yesterday as he kept going. I was thinking, "That's all well and good, but what if those who you have close relationships with, and those deep conversations with are too far away to enjoy a cup of coffee with? What then?". One thing is for sure, I cherish the times I have had with my friends. I have to keep in touch with my friends I have fellowshipped with for years, but I have to live where I'm at right now, too. My current situation at the coffee shop has been mostly studying by myself. Not too much community it seems. Or maybe I'm just not friendly enough with people or something. I don't know.

Anyway... I'm still wondering what this new thing is that God is doing. I can't "forget" certain past things. There are some past things, and there are some continuing things. The continuing relationships will not be forgotten. The past struggles, some of them I need to move beyond. To keep on going. To live in His truth, to TRUST Him.

Trusting has been a major topic lately. For provision, for healing, for joy, for His presence, His voice, His guidance.

My friend Ashley prayed for me yesterday and reminded me to trust Him for these things, and others.

I am longing to be refreshed by Him... to get back out in the middle of the dance floor...

2 comments:

Holly said...

Praying for you Nora! I always love President Cramer's chapels too... always full of good stuff! I'm excited about what God is going to do (and is doing) in your heart and life this year! :)

Holly said...

I'm not sure about the pasteurized milk. I still need to check on that. It's a good idea, though. The octopus was further back in the picture, so I don't think you were probably able to see it. All kinds of interesting food here... I haven't decided yet if I would prefer the DC or not. ;) Have a good day!